Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

Bangkok-Bound.




Finally I'm getting to blog about my trip to Bangkok. My 3rd trip there this year and n-th trip altogether.
I love the country for the glorious food and basically when you are from a stressful(?) country, it's just relaxing to be there. 

I was thinking if I should do a guide on this blog. Well, I've done it before in my previous blog and many MANY people here have been there. So I'm not sure if people are still curious.

But, guess what! I'm still gonna do one. First up, visuals from Day 1.








Click below for a lengthy Bangkok Guide!
X



Flights

I've flew Thai airways, Myanmar air, Tiger and Scoot. It depends on your budget but basically the normal airlines cost around $300+ per pax. While the budget airlines you can score $140/- or less! Although it is not as comfy as the better one, it's just a mere 2 hours flight.



Transport

Nowadays the only transport for me is the taxi. From airport to city it's around 350baht-450baht. A reasonable price! And if I'm taking taxi around town, it usually does not cost more than 150baht. It is also imperative that the taxi I picked uses meter! And if they don't, I just asked to alight from the cab. Another way to gurantee a meter cab is to get them at the shopping mall's taxi stand. There is always someone there to read to the taxi's where your address is. That is when you tell them you want a meter cab. Don't be con! Also, I'll also use the google maps to check if they are going the right direction. 

*Get your dtac happy tourist sim card at the airport. Less than 300baht for 7 days of unlimited data usage.



Stay

Best Hotel: Urbana Langsuan. Photo above. It's a really huge apartment style hotel with the most comfiest bed in Bangkok. Amazing stuff (less than SGD100/night)

Other decent hotels I've stayed at:
Grand Diamond (SGD100/night) - Next to shopping paradise, large room, a little dim
Ecotel (SGD50/night) - Decent stay, small room, a distance away from Platinum
Bel-Air Princess (SGD100/night) - Huge room and bed. Located slightly away from town. Near to mrt.



Food




You don't go Bangkok when you are on a diet. Remember to explore street stalls! Some really have delicious food. For me, I like to decide where to eat if I see many locals eating at a particular place. Most of the time it guarantees good local food! Some of the photos of my favourite eats can be seen above or in my up-coming posts.


Here's a list of my personal favourite/s :

Chicken/Pork Skewers @ Random streets
Thai Iced Tea @ Everywhere
Claypot Beef Noodles @ Platinum Food Court
Chicken Noodles with Soup @ Chatuchuk (near section 21, look for red banner!)
Coconut Ice-cream with Roasted Peanuts @ Chatuchuk (directly outside toilet point 5)
Braised Pork Rice @ Petchburi Soi 19 (the alley beside Shibuya 19, opposite Platinum)
Crepe and Co @ Soi Langsuan
Roast @ Seenspace 13
Mochi Ice-cream @ Siam Paragon Gourmet Market
Tom Yum Soup @ Siam Night Market
Pizza Company @ Suvarnabhumi Airport
Pancake with condense milk @ Siam Night Market


Other Suggestions (Otherwise 2nd Best)

Wanton Noodles @ Petchburi Soi 19
Thai Papaya Salad @ Platinum Food Court
Mango Sticky Rice @ Platinum Food Court
After You @ Siam Paragon
Seafood stalls @ CentralWorld street
Crepe @ Platinum basement
Swensens Ice-cream @ Platinum/Terminal 21
Baskin Robbins @ Platinum/Terminal 21
Krispy Kreme @ Siam Paragon
Fuji Restaurant @ Platinum (etc)
ShabuShi @ Siam Center
Mr Jones Orphanage @ Siam Center/Seenspace 13


Basically the food prices at restaurants cost on average less than 400 baht. It's not expensive dining at Bangkok. I won't be listing all the prices. But if you wanna know anything. Just hit the Ask.fm button right at the sidebar and ask away!



Shopping

Platinum Mall
After being there countless of times, my ultimate favourite is still the Platinum Mall. Levels and levels of shopping heaven. Yes the prices have increase. (on average 300 baht/+) But you can still score great deals with just 150-250baht! So open your eyes wide and search. My advise is spend at least 2 days there. It is really impossible to cover it in a day. I usually cover the mall level by level in horizontal lanes. That way, I will cover all the shops and not missed a thing. Because there is just too many lanes in just 1 level. Do get swimsuits there! It is SO much cheaper there.

Accessories wise, not much. I don't really like the selections. Shoes, I don't trust their workmanship. Hence, I just usually just get clothes there. Platinum also sells lots of make up products etc. But they look dubious. So I didn't get any. I did score something I haven't bought before. Contact lens! I'm not sure how safe they are. But I actually bought 4 pairs there (200 baht per set)


Chatuchuk
2nd runner up goes to this. Amidst the unbearable weather is lanes of great bargain buys. For ladies out there, it is useful to know that Section 14, 16, 18, 21 has better selection of clothes then the rest. For me, it's impossible to walk-thru the whole area. Hence, usually I'll just make sure I cover those sections first. Do get a map of Chatuchuk as well! So you'll know where you are exactly.



Siam Paragon
This visit, I'm surprised that I actually found Jeffrey Campbell shoes at their department stall. They carry a wide range of the shoes and also Villians housebrand. Fans of Melissa shoes you can rejoice as well! Siam Paragon is the place to go if you are only looking for the established brands. Oh yes, and the Gourmet Supermarket is a must-go for me. I'm there on a daily basis whenever I'm in Bangkok.


Siam Center
Personally the best decorated mall ever. The mall is as edgy as it can possibly get. The brands there are mostly local designers(?) If you support local talent, you know where to go. But mostly I'm there for the vibes it gives. Such a sucker for awesome interior deco.


Siam Night Market
Just opposite of the Siam malls is a long stretch of stalls. According to one, the stalls aren't open on Mondays. There is good selection of clothes and accessories but it is so much pricer than Platinum Mall. However, it's a good way to kill time if you have nothing to do at night.



Massage

There is really only one place to go in Bangkok for massage. It's Healthland Asok. It's compound is so huge, you wouldn't think it's a place to go for massages. Just 500baht/2hr for a traditional thai massage. Reservations are a must because they are fully booked always.




That's all I've got for you!
Hope you guys find it informative in a way or another.
Will continue with photos from Day 2 and 3 next.


_



Questions?





No comments: