Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Budget Japan: Not-So-Budget Travellers Edition




I have no idea why I keep going back to Japan like it's just right next door. Well it's not. It's freaking 7 hours of flight away. But I'm hooked. Every time when I head there it cost at the very least 2k to 3k. But you see, I don't mind! It's not very good though. In my head I know if I budget well, I can do a trip to Europe instead. Sigh the dilemma.

Anyway to get things started here's how to budget for the not-so-budget travellers! For example, I cannot stay in subpar accommodations. But I don't stay in atas hotels either. The key is to find out what you are comfortable with. And to do extensive research! Here's how to travel to Japan in 7days with a little over S$1,000.








Flights

From Singapore. You can get return flights for as cheap as S$360 to Japan with Scoot. I managed to score that! Or for unknown reasons when airlines have sale flights. I booked a last minute return flight to Tokyo for $440 with Delta Airlines. I think I got really lucky with that! Otherwise, ANA and JAL tend to have promotions costing around $800+. Or Singapore Airlines have sale to Tokyo for just $620+


Accommodations

Personally. If you wanna save big. Cut down your accoms costs. A decent hotel in Tokyo cost a minimum of $80/night. If you split with your fellow partner that is fine. But if me if I travel solo, I look for decent hostel. It's usually $40/night or less non peak season. I tried the hostel in Kyoto for the first time in Japan and it was so good, I started looking out for hostels in Japan to stay in.

Here are the ones I've tried and are pretty good! I've already filter out the ones I think are so-so or pretty bad. Basically I'm looking for modern accoms with clean facilities and places that I had decent sleep.

Kyoto: K's House
Tokyo: Oak Hostel Zen


Transport

Now, this category costs a bomb. Everyone should get a Suica card when they are there. Works like the local ez-link card. Saves the hassle of buying a ticket every single time you travel. In Japan, train and buses are not cheap. Like a single bus ride across cities cost minimum $50+. Short distance trains cost a few dollars each time (Use hyperdia.com to calculate your cost) .

The only way to minimise spending on transport is to stay in an area each time. Each time when you travel to other prefecture, it's just gonna increase your expenditure.

JR Pass - It's not cheap but it is definitely cheaper if you intend to go 7 places in 7 days or etc. But I doubt anyone does that. If you have just 7 days, stick to an area to save cost.


Food

I find food in Japan cheaper than in Singapore. Surprise surprise. A meal in a decent ramen store cost from $8 onwards. You must have heard about food from Japanese convenience stores right. Yes they are a life-saver. You can get like decent pasta/rice etc for $4 onwards. I'm not a fussy eater. So all these works for me! Plus I'm not in Japan to eat all the expensive, limited edition, must-eat food. To me, snacks hold the highest priority. Besides there's 100yen convenience stores around that you can get instant noodles or bread etc. But obviously I don't torture myself till that extent.


Shopping

Now, if you wanna save money. Do not shop. I repeat, do not shop. Shopping in Japanese can be pretty expensive. I don't think I've seen clothes below $20. You can shop in Singapore. But not there. If you wanna shop though, I suggest buying sneakers (they are cheaper there) or heading to Daiso to do some novelty shopping.


Attractions

Sight-seeing in Tokyo doesn't cost much. Usually less than $10 if any. Unless big ticket items like Disneyland/Disneysea that cost $85.


Gifts

Gift/souvenir shopping comes like a package every time you head overseas. So to save time and money. Buy your omiyage (gifts) at the airport. There's plenty of stuff to get at the airport. Personally, I think getting prettily package food/snacks from Japan is a good idea. It cost 1,000yen typically and there's usually 10-18 packets in each. If you buy above 5,000+yen for consumables, there's tax refund.



Total (Approximately)

Flights - $400
Accommodations - $280 ($40 x 7nights)
Transport - $190 ($20/day + $50 airport transport)
Food - $168 ($8 x 21meals)
Attractions - $150 (approximate)
Gifts - $60 (1000yen x 5sets)

For the not-so-budget travellers - less than $1,300 for a week in Tokyo.


Do your maths and you can travel to Japan in 7days with a little over $1,000. I think that's not bad considering it's not exactly budget budget! Note that prices above are based on approximate calculations. Actual prices are subjected to change.



_



Instagram @nsofina/#hertravellingyears
Ask.fm/nsofina for questions




No comments: